Singing Day Camp – It's not just for Kids!
This is a fun way to spend time this summer, getting energized and uplifted with song while escaping the fast pace of work and family life. This is where you will actively learn to sing in harmony in a safe environment under the direction of music professionals Sandi Melody and Jeremy Vallance. You’re in the company of like-minded, supportive people who all want to experience the benefits of song in their lives. All you need is a desire to sing; NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.Learn more about us on CBC Early Edition – July 17, 2019
When and Where
August 16 to 20, 2021 | 8:30am to 3:30pm
West Vancouver United Church
2062 Esquimalt Avenue, West Vancouver BC V7V 1S4
1. Morning Stretching and Breathing: When it comes to singing, our bodies are our instruments so we’ll start each day with yoga style stretching, mindful movement, breathing and toning (kirtan style) as preparation for the day’s activities.Hand Clap Skit, High School Talent Show
2. Body Percussion: This physical and engaging activity teaches you simple and complex rhythms using cool drumming patterns with their hands and feet. Sure to cause lots of laughter! Check out these links to body percussion FUN!
We Can Work It Out, UVic Beatles Bodydub
Just Clap Your Hands, STOMP
3. Music Reading & Ear Training: No previous experience necessary. Our relaxed approach will give you a better understanding of music notation, by showing them how to read and sing the notes on the page using the solfege system (do, re, mi…) and the number system (1,2,3…) interchangeably. Both systems incorporate relevant theory and are are used in post secondary music education for all instruments. Safe and supported improv activities will be used to deepen listening skills, gain independence and build confidence.
4. Singing, Singing, Singing: There will be singing throughout the day from fun and silly spur of the moment songs taught by ear to dedicated written ensemble arrangements sung in 4 part harmony. You will enjoy songs from the 1600’s – today (rock, jazz, blues, folk, pop, rap, classical, multi-cultural/world)
Vocal Technique: You will gain a better understanding of just how many ways they can use their singing voice to express themselves! What the human voice is cabaple of doing is nothing short of AMAZING! And contrary to what a lot of westerners think, YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE BORN WITH IT.
5. Outdoor activities: There is beautiful park space next door to the church and the beach is just a couple blocks away where we can all have lunch (weather permitting), have a walk/hike, play games or just chill.
6. A Mini Concert: There will be a mini-concert Friday afternoon to which family is invited.
Enrolment limited to
NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
NO REFUNDS once purchased, but transfer to a friend or family member is acceptable.
Minimum enrolment is required to run each camp. If not met, participants will be moved to an alternate date or refunded their full registration fee.